A vital part of CAT’s mission is to share the interactive, student-centered teaching methods that make such an impact with young people, ensuring that our work doesn’t end when our actor-teachers leave the classroom. To that end, CAT has been providing professional development opportunities for educators and other youth development professionals for decades. CAT’s robust, practical workshops are enjoyable, hands-on, and tailored to address pertinent topics within the greater NYC community.
In FY2016, CAT’s professional development outreach included workshops in Early Childhood Education, School Violence Prevention, HIV Prevention, Shakespeare, Dropout Prevention, as well as workshops for Homes for the Homeless educators. FY2016 also included presentations at several conferences, including:
- ICPH Beyond Housing Conference
- UFT BRAVE Campaign Anti-Bullying Conference
- Indiana Assoc. for the Education of Young Children Conference
- American Evaluation Association Conference
- United States Society for Education through Art Regional Conference
- American Alliance for Theatre Education
- 1,535 Educators and Youth Development Professionals
- 403 YALP Practitioners & Young Adults from 16 Sites
- 358 YALTA Workshops, Events & Observations
- 595 Conference Participants
- 307 Professional Development & Conference Workshops
CUNY-CAT is an approved New York State Education Department Sponsor of Continuing Teacher & Leader Education (CLTE).
CAT's Kaplan Center for Educational Drama provides educators and parents at all grade levels with hands-on training in the CATalyst Approach to interactive, issue-based drama, so they can incorporate its guiding principles into their work with youth and other adults.
The CUNY M.A. in Applied Theatre, offered by the CUNY School of Professional Studies in partnership with CAT, is the first of its kind in the United States. Students learn to use drama to facilitate, educate and activate.
Early Learning Program: NYC Wolf Trap
Literacy Through Drama Program
Young Adult Literacy Technical Assistance
Director of Resource Development
CUNY-CAT is an approved NYSED CTLE Sponsor.
CUNY-CAT is an approved NYC DOE Vendor.
March 10, 2017
Theatre companies who help youth make work out of their own concerns are empowering them for life as well.